We're here to help you navigate the California legal requirements and ensure the process is easy for you:
- Title Transfer: Ensure the vehicle's title is in your name and properly signed. If you've lost the title, you can obtain a duplicate using the Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (Form REG 227) from the California DMV.
- Smog Certification: California requires a valid smog certificate at the time of sale. However, if your vehicle is four years old or less, you're exempt from this requirement, though you'll need to pay a $8 smog transfer fee.
- Odometer Disclosure: This is required for cars less than 20 years old, either on the certificate of title or on the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment (Form REG 262).
- License Plates: In California, the license plates remain with the vehicle.
- Release of Liability: After the sale, complete the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability online within 10 days to inform the DMV that you no longer own the car.
- Junking a Vehicle: If you're junking the vehicle, you need to apply to the DMV to record the vehicle as "Junk". The required documents include the evidence of ownership, such as the California Certificate of Title or lien sale documents.
For more detailed information, you can visit the California DMV’s guidelines on salvaged vehicles
and the DMV’s page on selling vehicles
Don't let paperwork worry you. Our Complimentary Paperwork Service handles all the necessary documents and liaises with the California DMV for you. Selling your car in California becomes hassle-free and legally secure with Money For Clunkers!